Monday 21 July 2008

Taking photos, common sense and the mathematician











My friend Julian is quite simply a lovely person and profoundly intelligent-he has a Doctorate in Maths. Once when I was feeling especially humbled and stupid in comparison he told me that I had common sense and he didn't. Last night this common sense was needed. Julian went to the USA today to work on Maths Camp (where young maths genius types spend their summer doing maths and not being the maths freak for once). Last night I had to help him pack up all his belongings to send them to storage. There was stuff everywhere-Julian was very proud of the fact that he had packed 7 bookcases up. However there was still lots of rotting food left over from organic boxes, other food, papers, clothes etc etc. My job was to sit there, knit to maintain my sanity and yell at Julain not to look at bits of paper, especially bits of paper with fun maths on it. (Did you know maths can be beautiful or fun?)




Moral of the story-knitting keeps you sane in all sorts of situations.




Yesterday during the day I went all around London with a camera taking photos of anything that caught my eye especially focussing on colour. I am no artist but the more I look the more I see and it is incredibly satisfying. Some of these will be used to do stripped samples for my City and Guilds course-I really reccomend a day with the camera-you will see your stash in a new light.

No comments: