Sunday 7 September 2008

E Bay Joy








I decided to buy an armless chair for knitting and found the above on E-Bay for a fiver. The seller was also advertising a singer sewing machine in a cabinet. I told him I would offer him £10 pounds for it if he couldn't sell it for more.
He didn't sell it and Julian kindly took me to pick it up in Edgware on Thursday (his car is significantly bigger than Clive's) When we got there we met the sellers wife. It turned out that they were selling up his mother's home and contents as she is now in a nursing home. When we were there I also noticed the sewing box above that they did not know what to do with and the wife offered it to me for another fiver.
It was full of absolute treasures-the 1956 Women's Weekly pages on cleaning hints, the wonderful biscuit box and all sorts of odd things like the leather repair kit and tin full of stocking mending thread above.
The sewing machine also had old Simplicity Sewing books-I really love finding such things-I do not think they have any real value but I love them.
The joy of these finds helped me cope with dinner that night-Julian kindly took Clive and me to dinner to say thank you for staying. On the way there Clive had 'one question' to do with his econometrics assignment. This one question lasted all through dinner and all the way home. Is it socially acceptable to knit when dining in a resturant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great finds!

And I say it's perfectly acceptable to knit in a restaurant if your dining companions are having an independent discussion. (If they aren't, it depends on the various relationships...)

I have certainly crocheted in a restaurant before the food came.

Unknown said...

Quite moving about Max. I don't think Julian's car is much bigger than Clive's, just bigger.

The restaurant was kosher of course!! (C)